Need your help...advice!

A good place to introduce yourself to our friendly community. We don't bite!

Need your help...advice!

Postby karaliok » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi everyone,
I am so glad I found this community.

I am in Ireland for only 1 month, my husband got a job here and we moved to Dublin. I was going to look for a job but I found out that I am pregnant.
Could you please tell me what is the procedure here in Ireland?
I don't have a GP, didn't have time to look for one. Should I get a GP first?
I have googled it and I saw that I have to get a GP and my GP will put me in contact with an OB...and I have to choose the maternity...there is something called Maternity and Infant scheme...

Could you please tell me what I have to do first and what I should expect next...I am so confused :cry:

Many thanks for your help.
karaliok

Re: Need your help...advice!

Postby MrsEL10 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:33 pm

First of all congrats :)

Get a GP and go to them and confirm your pregnancy. They will probably discuss the options about hospitals and going public or private but you decide yourself what to do.
TTC # 1 Dec 10 - Dec 12, currently pregnant on # 2 :)
MrsEL10

Postby MasterMongoose » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:51 pm

The maternity and infant scheme allows you to visit your GP for your antenatal care free of charge together with your hospital consultant. Women in Ireland are entitled to free maternity care in public hospitals.
You need to find and register with a GP. They will confirm your pregnancy and will send a letter referring you for maternity care to a hospital of your choice. The hospital will give you an appointment for around the 12 weeks mark. Then you can alternate between visiting your GP and visiting the hospital.
Your GP should go through these options with you at the first visit.
You also have the option of private maternity care if you have health insurance, though this will carry an extra charge in addition to your health insurance costs.
Make sure your taking your folic acid everyday.
MasterMongoose

Postby karaliok » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:18 pm

Thank you so much for your replies. I have registred myself with a GP and my first appointment at Rotunda (I chose this maternity) is on the 12th of March...exactly on my 12th week of pregnancy. The only thing I have to do is get an appointment for nuchal translucency scan....I tried to reach them over the phone several times without any success...hope to succeed to do it on monday. Thank you again for your replies and advices. Have a great weekend!
karaliok

Return to New Members - Say Hello and Welcome